10 of the Very Best Beauty Hacks
I love a good beauty hack, but then again who doesn’t? From multipurpose products to household items that work just as well – if not better – than expensive store-bought products to application tricks that cut down on your getting ready time, beauty hacks are indispensable to a well-rounded, efficient beauty routine.
While we all have our go-to beauty tricks, here are 10 of the very best beauty hacks for hair, skin and body:
1. Baby Powder isn’t just for babies. While baby powder has been widely used as a substitute for dry shampoo (a little on the scalp, rub in, flip and go), it is also an effective way to curb sweat – from underarms to between your legs (especially in hot and humid climates when your thighs tend to chafe).
2. Is your hair plagued with frizz and flyaways? Take a good old fashioned dryer sheet from your laundry room and gently run it over your hair to tame the frizzes. Works like magic.
3. Want beachy curls while you sleep? The SoCal Curls contraption will give you better waves than a curling iron. And it does it all while you’re getting your snooze on. I do recommend watching the tutorial first.
4. Mascara makes a marvelous liquid eyeliner. It is true – you have a great, pigmented formula for the taking! Just dip an angled brush onto the mascara wand and apply to your lash line. Use the same mascara on your lashes for a perfect pairing of color and consistency. Waterproof mascaras work like a charm.
5. For an all-over, dewy, model-like complexion, mix a dollop of liquid highlighter in with your face moisturizer. If you want coverage and dewiness, combine the highlighter with your favorite foundation, BB cream or tinted moisturizer.
6. Use lipstick as blush. Did you know that if you add a very small amount of cream blush to your cheeks prior to rubbing on the lipstick, it will actually blend much better without all of the pulling and tugging. You can also use the excess on your lips and a dab on the eyes gives that glossy lid look.
7. Setting your lipstick really does work, especially when going for a bold, colorful hue. And the same trick is applicable to transitioning a glossier formula to that which is more matte. Here is how you do it: place a tissue over your lipstick-painted pout. Using a brush and a translucent powder, gently dust the powder over the tissue. And voila! Mattified, long lasting color. Use the powder on the rest of your face to set your makeup as well. Just make sure you are choosing a colorless formula.
8. Coconut oil is good for everything, from makeup remover to body moisturizer. But one of my absolute favorite uses for the all-natural oil is as a healthy shaving cream. It actually works better than the store-bought ones! And while you have your tub of coconut oil in the bath, apply to the ends of your hair as a DIY treatment.
9. If you are a fan of hairspray then use it to keep unruly brows in place as well. While brow gels are effective, uncooperative brow hairs like mine need something stronger from time to time. Hairspray is the answer. Spray onto a spooly and brush onto brows in an upward motion.
10. If you are wearing a bold lip – red included – chances are, color will end up on your teeth. And this is a beauty no-no. So ensure that the color stays off by using these two quick and easy post-lipstick steps: Put your finger in your mouth and pull it out. You will be amazed how much lipstick ends up on the inner part of your lip, which would undoubtedly have ended up on your pearly whites. And coat your teeth with a thin layer of Vaseline or a multipurpose balm. Misplaced lipstick will slide right off. Plus, this professional trick is a red carpet favorite as the coated teeth actually glisten when you smile.
Article written by Sarah Howard
This article was written by the guest author listed at the end of the article.