Anti-Aging Remedy: Cold Water
Want a cheap anti-aging remedy? Wash with cold water, as in really cold. No casual, easy warm bath for you! Unbelievable, isn’t it?
“Cold showers have the following positive effects:
- Brings blood to the capillaries, therefore increasing circulation throughout the body.
- Cleans the circulatory system.
- Reduces blood pressure on internal organs.
- Provides flushing for the organs and provides a new supply of blood.
- Strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems.
- Contracts the muscles to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes.
- Strengthens the mucous membranes, which help resist hay fever, allergies, colds, coughs.”
And because cold anything helps you burn fat. Just ask Michael Phelps how he stayed slim on a 12,000-calorie-per-day diet. (Or don’t, because he probably didn’t think too hard about it.)
Cold water helps maintain your skin’s natural oils so it stays smoother longer, and the increased circulation also keeps your hair its own natural color. Cold water also keeps your hair cleaner longer and adds shine by closing the cuticles on the hair itself.
If you can’t really can’t handle cold showers, start with a less-hot shower than normal and then finish with a cold rinse. You can also alternate hot and cold for a minute each, but be sure to finish with a cold rinse.
Disclaimer: Of course, you shouldn’t always take cold showers or baths if you have health problems like high blood pressure, are feverish, or have heart disease. As always, check with your doctor first.
Article by Amina Mirza, a native Washingtonian interested in history, literature and natural beauty treatments.
This article was written by the guest author listed at the end of the article.