What to Pack for a Trip to Lake Como
You are sure to fall head over heels for Lake Como, well known for its natural beauty. The stunning lake is situated at the base of the Italian and Swiss Alps toward the north of Milan. The area is filled with gorgeous scenery and is an absolute paradise.
There are plenty of villas and holiday rentals on Lake Como, so lodging is no issue. The nearby attractions and other areas are just a short walk away. Hop on one of the boats or ferries that will take you across the lake. The trip to the lake is easy to make, and there should be no excuses to visit the most scenic regions of Italy.
Enjoy a weekend break as you head toward the stunning location. It is thought to be perfect for couples as it is quite romantic. However, with so many things to do and see, it is a great place for the whole family fun too!
How to reach Como
One can take a train to Como from Milan and head back the same day. You can stay for a couple of days and explore nearby spots. For example, you could take a ferry up to Bellagio or the train to Varenna. Depending on which ferry you take, you get to see one of the beautiful lakeside communities.
Weather in Lake Como
Lake Como’s weather is delightful. The Mediterranean conditions allow sub-tropical plants to grow throughout the year. One finds typical Mediterranean plants like olive trees and grapevines thriving here. The best months to visit are from April to October when the weather is mild and comfortable. When the temperatures rise, the flowers begin to blossom. May is the wettest, so carry an umbrella. Visit Lake Como during the summer if you don’t like rain much. Summer is the peak time for tourists, and the temperature is comfortable. Refresh yourself with a swim in the lake or relax on one of the beaches. The temperatures drop dramatically during winters and can dip to 34 degrees Fahrenheit. Snowfall is erratic and affects the higher elevations.
Lake Como is so beautiful and charming, and there are so many places and villages to explore, as well as so many things to see. Depending on when you visit Lake Como and what you plan to do, you should pack for your trip. You would probably be spending lots of time on the lake or would be busy exploring the towns and shopping the markets.
What to pack
- You will love exploring different towns and villas surrounding the lake. Enjoy your walks as you will see everyone relaxing and walking super slow. So don’t be in a rush and enjoy every moment. As the trials often take you uphill and the towns are filled with old stone streets, ensure that you wear comfortable shoes. Be willing to go higher as the views from higher up are especially stunning and well worth the walk.
- Wear comfortable clothes according to the weather. For example, cool and comfortable clothes are essential during the summer days, while you would need warm clothes and a jacket for chilly evenings. Use some fashion accessories to put an outfit together.
- As you will be outdoors and probably walk a lot, always carry good walking shoes. There are plenty of hiking trails nearby, and one can always jog or walk along the lake. So, ensure that the walking shoes you carry are in good condition and comfortable. Lake Como is the perfect place to unwind.
- When in Lake Como, you are sure to enjoy all the water sports and will love to go for a swim. So ensure that you pack your best swimsuits and carry a hat. Do not forget to pack your sunglasses and sunscreen. Keep in mind that topless sunbathing is a no-no.
- Carry an extra pair of shoes and proper dress for dining out. After all, there are plenty of fancy and fine dining options in Lake Como where you will love to dress up and go. Guys wear a well-cut suit and shiny shoes while the women can wear a pretty dress. Maxi dresses are perfect for a Lake Como weekend. Capri pants sure make a statement and are perfect for those holiday vibes. Find your own perfect balance between comfort and fashion.
- Lake Como evenings are romantic and beautiful. It is indeed an extraordinary experience catching the sunset and gazing at the splash of colors in the sky. Wear something nice and formal to ensure you impress everyone. Shirts and light-blue jeans would be frowned upon for evening wear. Look both comfortable and stylish when holidaying in Como. It is a good idea to carry a light jacket or shawl as it always gets chilly during the evening.
- As the weather gets colder during the winter, remember to bring appropriate clothing. January is the coldest month so pack sweaters, hats and jackets. However, even in the midst of cold winters, Lake Como is bustling with energy and looks so beautiful in a frosty fashion.
- A word of caution: Mosquitos can be a bit of a problem in summer, so do not forget to pack a mosquito repellent and bug spray. Keep yourself safe and protected while you holiday. Do not over pack and use your creativity to be a smart and fashionable traveler.
Article by Wahab Ullah Amjad
This article was written by the guest author listed at the end of the article.