Home Spa with Epsom Salt
If you’re feeling just a bit frazzled and overwhelmed by an endless whirlwind of holiday activities, but your gift-shopping-depleted coffers preclude a day at the spa; don’t despair — you can create a relaxing home spa experience with the astonishingly versatile (and inexpensive) product known as Epsom salt.
The beauty benefits of this humble drugstore product are numerous: soaking in it relieves stress, soothes aching muscles, softens the skin and can even reduce the appearance of wrinkles. A naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate, Epsom salt was first discovered in a bitter saline spring at Epsom, England. Now widely available, you can find it at any drugstore or supermarket for less than $5. It’s one of the most effective ways to replenish your magnesium levels — a mineral that’s critical to maintaining your health and good looks. Here are six ways to relax with Epsom salts this holiday season:
- Create a relaxing bath soak by adding at least one cup of Epsom salt to a warm bath and soak for 20 minutes. The magnesium absorbed through your skin will energize you, increase serotonin levels and lower your blood pressure. You’ll look and feel better!
- Enjoy a rejuvenating body scrub by massaging handfuls of the crystals into wet skin. The salt will deep clean as well as purge your skin of toxins.
- Give your usual face wash an exfoliation and magnesium boost by mixing a half teaspoon of Epsom salt to your regular cleanser.
- Treat your skin to a homemade skin treatment: For normal to oily skin, mix one tablespoon of cognac, one egg, 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk, the juice of one lemon and 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt and apply to damp skin. For normal to dry skin, mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt.
- Soothe those long-suffering feet with an Epsom salt foot soak. You can also make an Epsom salt foot scrub to re-energize your tired feet — check out this great recipe.
- Boost hair volume with a DIY sea salt spray with Epsom salt. You can also deep condition by mixing equal parts Epsom salt and conditioner, leave in your hair for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly.