Summer Food Finds
July seems to come and go so quickly with the early holiday and summer obligations: weddings, getaways, birthdays and all things good. The last month has taken me up and down the East Coast, with very little cooking at home, which is good for one thing: summer food adventures. Here is a list of my favorite July food finds:
- The best bread in the district. I am in love with this bakery, they’re always incredibly friendly at each market. The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek Farm sell at these D.C. markets: Penn Quarter, White House, Arlington, Burke and Annapolis.
- Heaven, sweet, sweet heaven found in the form of chai espresso cupcake from the one and only Baked and Wired (my favorite cupcake joint in the District).
- Truckaroo at National’s stadium — how come it took me so long to find this? GO here on a Friday night — screw the game and just go for the great food. Last week I had bon mi and it was GOOD (chicken, especially). Happens monthly, next one is Aug. 16.
- Trickling Spring‘s flavor of the month at Union Market is MAPLE BACON.
- Speaking of Union Market, Buffalo Bergen‘s outdoor beer and drink stand, along with cornhole and Friday night drive-in movies.
- On my list to read: The Essential Good Food Guide just released by Margaret Wittenberg (one of the founders of Whole Foods): all the info about buying and preparing healthy and sustainable food.
- Taco Bell getting rid of their kids meals — about time!
Food blogger Kristy has been in love with food ever since she was building restaurants out of her plastic kitchen set at age 5. Now, she spends most of her free time exploring new markets, visiting local farms and perfecting the art of bread baking. Originally from Philly, she dreams of living in the mountains of New England or the Pacific Northwest someday.