A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to channel my inner “Padma Lashki” (well actually I think I’m more of a Gail Simmons kind of gal) and interview all of the amazing and talented DC Embassy chefs at this year’s Top-Chef style cook off “Challenge Hungary” sponsored by Cultural Tourism DC.
HOW THE CHALLENGE WORKS
The Embassy Chef Challenge begins behind closed doors with Challenge Hungary—a private preliminary competition. This cook-was held at Occasions Catering and challenges Embassy chefs to create a main course in two hours with one common ingredient and a basket of surprise ingredients determined by 2012 Embassy Chef Winner and 2013 judge, Hungarian Chef Viktor Merényi.
The judging panel will reserve the name of the winner to be announced the night of the Embassy Chef Challenge gala.
Meet Some of The Embassy Chefs
The Embassy Chef Gala
The Embassy Chef Challenge reconvenes the night of the gala on March 14, 2013 when all chefs offer their best hors d’oeuvres for a second round of judging at the Ronald Reagan Building. The scores from the preliminary cook-off and the gala hors d’oeuvres battle determine the Judge’s Choice Award winner.
Guests at the gala will vote for the People’s Choice Award. Local celebrity chef Carla Hall, finalist and “Fan Favorite” from Bravo’s Top Chef All-Stars, will serve as a judge and guest auctioneer for the lively auction.
Proceeds from the evening will benefit Cultural Tourism DC, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the art, culture and heritage found in Washington’s diverse neighborhoods.
MEET ALL THE JUDGES
- Tim Carman, food reporter, The Washington Post
- Chef Xavier Deshayes, executive chef, Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center
- Chef Duff Goldman, Founder and Head Pastry Chef of Charm City Cakes–the Baltimore Bakery featured on Food Network’s Ace of Cakes, Member of the U.S. Department of State Diplomatic Culinary Partnership American Chef Corps
- Chef Carla Hall, co-host of ABC’s The Chew and finalist of Bravo’s
Top Chef All-Stars
- Chef Penny Karas, Owner and Executive Pastry Chef, Hello Cupcake
- Chef Viktor Merényi, Embassy of Hungary, Judge’s Choice Winner, Embassy Chef Challenge 2012
- Chef Sina Molavi, executive chef, Occasions Caterer
- Joe Yonan, food and travel editor, The Washington Post
SAVOR THE DATE
DATE: Thursday, March 14, 2013
TIME: 7:00 – 10:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
TICKETS: $250 per ticket. Purchase at www.embassychefchallenge.com. Early registration encouraged—as last year’s event sold out.
See ya’ll there!
Article By: Vanessa Camozzi, DC on Heels Founder, Blogger In Chief