How NOT to Find Love Online
Some people are hesitant to trust dating apps because of the horror stories they have heard from their friends. From being stood up to meeting someone who look completely different in person, you have probably heard it all. Plus, you can’t erase the gross stories of getting nudes instead of a number, which is not okay.
However all these unfortunate cases are bad examples and do not reflect the true intention of these dating apps, which is to find love or at least a date.
So if you are serious about finding a date and not pushing someone away, make sure you DO NOT do the following on any dating apps:
Just no. Please do not send nudes over a dating app under any circumstance. Use the app to get to know each other and exchange numbers. What you do over text is entirely up to you, but avoid polluting dating apps with inappropicate content. You are only going to get blocked or kicked off, so what is the point?
All about you
You know those people who only talk about themselves? Yeh, avoid that as well. Connecting with someone over a dating app is a chance to learn about one another or joke around, but if you only talk about you then it is only going to make it seem like you are not into the other person. Don’t waste anyone’s time babbling about your life if you don’t want to hear about their life too. And if you know you are not interested, don’t engage to begin with.
We are all guilty of looking up who we connect with on an app. But it is one thing to look at their social media to get more insights, and another to be down right creepy. If you match but you can tell the other party isn’t interested, don’t keep reaching out. Just take the hint. I had a friend who matched with someone a year ago and they still message her even though she makes it very clear she is not into it. So don’t dwell and stalk. Just move on to the next one.
Now that you know what not to do, these are the five steps to take for proper dating app etiquette.
- Exchange numbers to continue your conversation off the app. It will show you are serious about getting to know each other to see where things go.
- Don’t fake it and be your true self. If you try to be someone you aren’t, this connection is doomed from the start.
- Find something you have in common to break the ice. It can be favorite hobbies or movies, really anything to spark a conversation.
- Lighten up the mood and make the conversation fun. Youm don’t have to be all serious when you first connect. If anything, too serious too fast is a turn off.
- Make moves and set up an in-person date. That way you will know sooner than later if there is something
Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Christina aspires to be a public relations professional in a big city after graduation from James Madison University. In her free time when she’s not blogging away about dating and relationships, Christina loves to go shopping, watch Netflix and play with every puppy that crosses her path.