Winter Weather Food & Drink
When there is weather in the air, you can feel it. A little charge of energy, an uptick in static electricity, a funny sensation in old injuries and arthritic fingers. When there is weather in the air in D.C., you can hear it. Mass pandemonium in the streets! Panic on the airwaves! The sound of grocery store cash registers ringing up apocalyptic amounts of drinking water and toilet paper!
Yes sir, a bad moon is on the rise and weather is predicted to hit the southeast in a big way tonight and into tomorrow. If at some point in the storm you get a little tired of sheltering in place, check out these fun snow-day themed things around town.
Mintwood Place places bet
Mintwood Place in Adams Morgan has made a little wager with the weather and its costumers. If all of this wintry mix hullabaloo comes true and five inches of snow or more accumulates out front of Mintwood by 5 p.m. Thursday, then the restaurant will reduce its entire menu to happy hour prices.
Drink the District
If this Nor’easter does what its supposed to do, you could find yourself working from home for the rest of the week. By Saturday, I know I will have ventured into The Shining levels of cabin fever. But before you grab your ax, please consider heading over to Union Market in Northeast for Drink the District. Participants can sample over 50 craft brews and unlimited full pours of two select brews. The event is held outside, but these things get packed so the collective body heat of the masses and unlimited beer will (seemingly) help stabilize body temperature.
Be on the lookout for deals
Most establishments are being coy and not announcing full-fledged specials until the snow starts falling, but here is what has been announced so far:
- Alba Osteria is offering bottomless dinner for $35 starting at 5 p.m. Thursday.
- Get buy-one, get-one drinks at DC Reynolds.
- Meridian Pint is open for brunch.
- Legend beer will be $2 between midnight and 2 a.m. at The Pug on Thursday morning. As usual, there will be $1 off drinks if H Street NE hits six inches of snow accumulation.
- The Pug and its neighbor the Queen Vic will open at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday. Thursday is The Pug’s seventh anniversary, so there will be specials, plus T-shirts and sweatshirts on sale, with proceeds benefiting pancreatic cancer research.
- El Centro D.F. is offering all day happy hour prices on drinks.
- Acre 121 has $5 Bang cocktails (whiskey, grapefruit liqueur, lemon and simple syrup over ice), a special addition to its 5-7 p.m. happy hour and 9-11 p.m. late night.
- Free fries at Z-Burger in Tenleytown with password “let it snow.”
- The Black Squirrel will open at noon with half-price burgers.
- Ping Pong Dim Sum in Chinatown and Dupont will open at 4 p.m. and will offer drink and dim sum happy hour all night.
- BLT Steak is offering half-priced hot cocktails at the bar all day long.
- Get a FREE vanilla and buttercream cupcake at Georgetown Cupcake today if you order it by name. Limit 1/person.
- Tel’veh Wine Bar has happy hour drinks all day.
- Bracket Room opens at noon with $2 PBR’s, $3 Bud Light draft, $5 house wines and $7 Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese from noon-9 p.m.
- Free tater tots from noon-4 p.m. with the purchase of any adult beverage at Duffy’s Irish Pub.
- Fuego Cocina y Tequileria has happy hour drinks all day.
- Grillfish is offering buy one, get one hot spike ciders until 4 p.m.
- Beginning at 1 p.m., Hill Country Barbecue Market has a limited menu and happy hour specials all day long.
- Jack Rose Dining Saloon has $5 hot bourbon cider, mulled wine and “Hot Chai Way to Hell” hot toddies all night.
- Jaleo in Bethesda has an all day happy hour. Try their gin and tonic!
- Kangaroo Boxing Club in Columbia Heights opens at noon with dinner menu and $5 dark and stormys until 5 p.m., Sochi Mules $6, one Sochi Mule and small poutine $10 or two Sochi mules and large poutine $15.
- Marvin is opening at 4 p.m. with half price burgers, $4 Stellas, $5 rail drinks and $6 wine all night.
- Nellie’s Sports Bar opens at 2 p.m. with $2 Miller Light bottles and house vodka drinks.
- Enjoy a margarita, sopa de tortilla and Oaxacan hot chocolate for only $12 at Oyamel.
- P.J. Clarke’s has $5 single malts all day.
- Radius Pizza opens at noon with $5 hot toddies all day and $13 pitchers until 7 pm. Carryout specials include a large cheese pizza for $10 and a large pepperoni pizza for $12.
- Roofers Union is offering any sausage with a beer for $14.
- Get bottomless mimosas for $12 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Shaw’s Tavern.
- Happy hour drink specials all day at Silo including $2 off drafts and cocktails plus $5 glasses of wine.
- TaKorean at Union Market opens at noon with $2 tacos, $6 bowls and $3 beers.
- Happy hour runs all night at Vinoteca with 20 wines at $5, $5 beers, $5 mulled wine and discounted bar snacks.
- Zaytinya has half-priced wine bottles for lunch and dinner.
- El Chucho has $3 tallboys, $5 Jamesons and $2 off hot drinks all night.
- Masa 14 opens at 3 p.m. with happy hour berverage specials all day.
This article has been updated.
Richard is a freelance writer who enjoys building a healthy appetite with long runs around the city. When not logging the miles, he can be spotted training the palate at brunches, happy hours and food trucks.