Five Rules for Online Dating
Online dating is becoming increasingly popular. But just like any other social media platform, there are some social norms that you must follow to flourish in the virtual dating world.
- “Hey” is for horses — Do not send a message that just says “hey” or “hi.” Where is that supposed to take things? Am I supposed to respond with, “Hey how are you?” The first message that you send should set the tone of the conversation. If this is your first message, the only characteristic one can gather from this message is that you are boring.
- The Silent Messenger — This phenomenon occurs more often than one would think. Messages are going back and forth and everything seems to be going well. Then they pop the question. “Hey, let’s meet up for drinks.” You respond, “Sure. When are you available?” And then nothing. Silence. Silence for days, weeks, months. Guess you’re taking yourself out for a drink.
- Sending messages online after getting the digits — This is pretty self-explanatory. Once you are both on a texting basis, there is no reason to go back to the online dating platform. It creates confusion and it just doesn’t make sense.
- Opposites do not attract — 20 percent match but you’re going to message that person anyway? Then what is the point of the percentage? It is also very disconcerting when a person messages someone who clearly has specific values that are completely opposite of what the other is seeking. Don’t message someone if they are clearly not a match for you. And definitely do not use the line, “I see we’re not a match. Maybe opposites attract.”
- Shallow profiles — “Message me if you’re tall and have a hot bod!” That is shallow. If this is on your profile, please take it down and ask yourself why you are looking for a relationship. If it is sex, then go to a sleazy bar. Otherwise, be open to meeting new people with different looks. You never know. You may pull a Charlotte and fall in love with a bald, Jewish Harry.
Dating and Relationship blogger, Sara Maldonado is a writer and social media guru currently navigating the sea of men while having an affair with the city of Washington, DC. She enjoys coffee, laughter, and a good hair day.