Fall Looks to Try Now
It’s the middle of summer and there’s no better time to start studying the hottest beauty trends for fall. Although I can’t wait to review the best new nail colors and share my tips for achieving fabulous autumnal eyes and lips, I noticed that there are fall trends you can work into your summer look right now, as well as summer colors that will carry into fall.
Smokey cat eye
This is one of the most striking looks spotted on fall runways: a classic smokey eye combined with the dramatic cat eye. I say, why wait? You can try this now, using your current summer palette.
Applying winged eyeliner can be tricky. Makeup artist Vera Steimberg has developed a foolproof technique using three types of liner:
- Prep lids with translucent powder to provide a smooth surface and help makeup last.
- Using a fine tipped brush, trace lash line with gel liner; extend line a quarter inch past the outer corner of eye.
- Top off line with liquid line and rim the inner eyelids with dark kohl pencil to achieve a smokey effect.
Shades of blue and violet dominated the fall catwalks; be on the lookout for Jason Wu’s forthcoming indigo collection for Lancôme. www.lancome-usa.com
In the meantime, teal and turquoise accents are perfect for summer. This season’s cat eye wings are created with strokes of color, not black.
You’ll want to keep the rest of your makeup barely there — with such a dramatic eye you’ll want to keep everything else minimal; it’s still summer and you don’t want to look overdone. I like a pinky-beige lip with cheeks that are lightly dusted with a peachy-toned bronzer. Remember to keep the overall finish matte and you’re set.
Opaque white nails
In case you were worried that it was time to bid your white nail polish adieu — fear not, light colored nails were seen with darker, rich hues in the fall collections. Striking combinations of opaque white and black are de rigueur for autumn.
The opaque white nail that is so fresh and au courant is something to try for now and keep later into fall as an accent to a darker color. The white nail is modern, edgy and quite versatile. But it requires flawless application technique — light colors can look streaky when applied incorrectly. Fortunately, the manicure experts at Julep have divulged the secret of perfect white nail polish application: insert a layer of matte topcoat between layers of color.
Feeling thoroughly edified, I thought I’d test this out, using OPI Alpine Snow: www.opi.com
- Apply base coat.
- Add first layer of white nail polish — don’t fret if it doesn’t look perfect yet.
- Now, apply a layer of matte top coat, let dry. This matte layer will provide a smooth surface for a second layer of white polish.
- Apply second layer of white — see how the color goes on without streaking.
- Finally, apply glossy top coat and you’re done.
Other fall nail colors to seek out: blue — midnight blue, navy, cobalt, gray — but darker than last season’s, deep purple, oxblood, copper and neutrals in sand and putty.
I, of course, will keep you updated in forthcoming posts by daringly sporting the latest colors on my digits. It is, as they say, a tough job but somebody’s got to do it.