What Are the Benefits of Drinking Alcohol?
For those of us that drink alcohol, many often hear people going on about how bad it is for you and what the health risks are associated with drinking alcohol. It is true that overindulging in alcohol can definitely have an adverse effect on your health as well as your quality of life in general. However, did you know that there are many health benefits associated with the moderate drinking of alcohol?
Alcohol does receive a lot of bad press because of the health problems that it can cause if drunk excessively. However, as long as you are sensible about your drinking and you do not overindulge on a regular basis, you could actually start enjoying some of the health benefits.
Some of the health benefits of moderate drinking
We tend to hear a lot about the adverse health effects of drinking alcohol, but we rarely hear about the benefits of drinking alcohol. Of course, it is important to be sensible when it comes to alcoholic drinks if you want to enjoy these benefits. So, let us take a look at some of the key health benefits you can look forward to:
- Lowering the risk of heart disease: By drinking moderate amounts of alcohol, you can increase your HDL cholesterol levels according to experts at Harvard. This in turn helps to lower the risk of getting heart disease. It is able to reduce the risk of small blood clots that can otherwise block up the arteries and could lead to serious problems such as heart attacks.
- Reducing the risk of premature death: We all want to live long and fulfilling lives, and by drinking in moderation you could actually increase your lifespan. According to researchers, by drinking fewer than four alcoholic drinks per day for men and two for women, the risk of death could be reduced by an impressive 18 percent.
- Improved libido: Many people suffer from lack of libido, and this can have a serious effect on their relationships. However, you can combat this problem through moderate consumption of alcohol, with research showing that moderate drinking could help with libido issues and erectile dysfunction.
- Prevention against colds: If you are one of the many people that keep getting a cold, it may be time to give up smoking and start drinking – although only in moderation! A study at Carnegie Mellon University showed that the risk of common colds was increased by smoking, but decreased among non-smokers that drink moderate amounts of alcohol.
- Reducing the risk of dementia: Dementia is a growing problem that affects many men and women around the world. However, experts have stated that drinking alcohol in moderate quantities could help to reduce the risk of developing this condition. In fact, research shows that those that drink moderate amounts of alcohol can reduce the risk of the onset of dementia by almost a quarter.
So, as you can see, there are plenty of health benefits that you can enjoy as a result of alcohol consumption as long as you drink in moderation.
Article by Cyndy Lane