How Wedding Cake Tastes Have Changed
The styles and types of wedding cakes have evolved to a significant extent in the recent years. Apart from different colors, the designs of the cakes have undergone a milestone of transformation!
Wedding cakes are centrally placed in the banquet hall at most weddings. It is the first thing that people see during the reception, apart from the décor. Tradition slowly changed from tiered cakes to frosted cakes. The cakes are placed strategically, depending upon the need and demand of the couple!
Ancient traditions about wedding cakes
In the olden days, wedding cakes were a symbol of fertility and love. Romans used to throw wheat grains on the newlywed couple, wishing them good luck, fertility and children. The tradition of throwing wheat grains on the couple slowly transformed into gifting them cakes made from wheat.
The cake would be crumbled over the head of the bride in the olden days. The tradition turned into smashing the cake in the face of the couple or even the birthday boy and girl. Alternatively, most people spread the icing of the cake on the face expressing their happiness.
Selecting the flavor of the cake
One of the primary requirements when choosing the wedding cake is picking the flavor of the cake. The color, shape and design of the cake are the necessary things to be determined by the couple. The various flavors preferred by people for their wedding are as follows:
- Red velvet
- Chocolate mint
- Dark chocolate
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Banana Walnut
- White chocolate with raspberry
- Spice cake
- Coconut and lime
- Pink champagne
The various designs of wedding cakes that people prefer these days include:
- Floral cakes
- Cakes decorated with ferns
- Jewel toned cakes
- Naked cakes
- Watercolor cakes
- Metallic cakes
The various shapes of wedding cakes are as follows:
The classic style of wedding cakes
The classic style of wedding cake is making small tiers which grow vertically. The most commonly preferred color for the wedding cakes was white in the olden days, with a white frosting.
Bakers and confectioners are becoming more and more skillful when it comes to their creations these days. The cakes are no longer restricted to plain and straightforward tiers, but to elaborate designs, wedding cupcakes, etc.
Today’s version Of wedding cakes
The remarkable creations for display during the wedding are no longer restricted to rich people. Every couple wants to have a unique style and design of the cake at their wedding! Bakers are getting an outlet to display their artistic skills and talents.
Bakers display their talents by making wedding cakes of towering heights and unique designs. The most striking feature of the cakes these days is the “topper” — the figure that sits on top of the cake. Few people prefer to have simple cakes with less decoration. Many people want to have an elaborate wedding cake with a distinctive topper. The classic porcelain figure of the bride and the groom is no longer the preference. Humorous pictures are displayed on wedding cakes these days, such as a bride dragging the groom, etc.
White colored cakes
You can find a plethora of colors, designs, styles and types of cakes prepared for weddings these days. The colors of the cakes range from white, blue, green, golden, orange, brown, beige, mauve, etc. However, white is the most preferred and customary color, and many people are ordering golden wedding cakes.
In the olden days, the ingredients of the wedding cakes were scarce, which left the bakers with less variety regarding the colors. A cake with white icing meant that the best and the most expensive variety of sugar had been used in its preparation. Brown sugar was very common and hence inexpensive. People had a perception that the whiter the wedding cake, the richer the couple was!
Points to remember when choosing a wedding cake
It is of prime importance to keep in mind a few points when you are deciding on the wedding cake as follows:
- Since the wedding cake will be an essential part of the wedding, make sure you have decided on the style, flavor and the color of the cake.
- You will have to choose the baker and book in advance so that you will be stress-free at the last moment.
- Few cakes can be placed directly on flat boards, while many others need to be displayed elaborately by placing on stands.
- The size of the cake table needs to be in proportion to the size of the cake.
- A small table will make the cake look gigantic, while a large table will cause the cake look like a tiny cupcake.
- Keep in mind the overall décor of the banquet hall, as you can decorate the table accordingly.
- You should decide on the cake style and type after deciding on the venue, the banquet hall, the season, the decorations, etc.
- You need to pick either buttercream or fondant icing, depending upon your preference.
- Buttercream is considered to be very delicious by most people, while fondant give cakes a smooth finish.
- Keep in mind the wedding cake prices before you decide on the baker and the style of the cake. Since your wedding will mark the beginning of a new phase of life, you must do the budgeting beforehand or you might regret it leater.
Article by Anjani Oruganti